Teach our toddlers skills of listening!
Think that’s easy? There is no need for that? Well, think twice !!!
Skills of listening, what is that?
Good communication depends on the skills of listening and that adults know. But when became parents we do our best to learn kids to speak. At the same time forgetting the importance of listening.
And listening is learned the skill!
If you’re still not convinced, research conducted by Albert Merharbiam shows that verbal communication is only 7% of communication. The remaining 93% consists of voice, facial expressions and body language.
So, how should listening?
We should listen actively, concentrated on the speaker or participant. It is not allowed to interrupt him or end sentences instead. Just as we try to talk to adults. We all want to prepare toddlers for participation in the adult world, aren’t we?
Why is it important to develop the art of listening?
How many times you should repeat before your toddler hears you?Skills of listening are important skills ready to sink into oblivion, so it is important to help children to improve it. Good communication is an important prerequisite for healthy mutual partnership and business relationships. In fact, all of our mutual relations are realized through communication.
When to start?
For skills of listening, there is no time limit, although the rule is that it is better sooner than later. At an early age, our toddlers with funny games spontaneously acquire the knowledge that will use through the lifetime.
Here are three games that will change the perception of your child in a fun and easy way.
You already know how important is to read to toddlers. So, you will need their favourite picture book. One of its characteristics is the repetition of terms. Take advantage of this. Agree that whenever the word appears in the text, child scream as loud as can. Toddlers like to yell so you will notice that they are listening to you more carefully.
Knock, knock the game
For this game, you need more animals toy. Collect them in a pile and let the little guy turned his back. Animal knocks- knock, knock. Children ask who is it? You are trying to explain which animal is. At the first use onomatopoeia (These animal barks av, av). Later, when child adopts more words you can make it harder (these wild animal, it is King of the jungle…) until the child can guess which animal is it. This funny game develops skills of listening and, furthermore an ability to conclude by excluding unsuitable. The child already knows which animals are in the game. So, if we sad that knock, knock animal is a wild animal, meat eater (and we work thinks like this earlier), the kid should know that knocking animal is not the dog…
Toddlers usually like songs. Use favourite songs for insertion of additional activities. Show the child in which part of the song we will rotate, or put hands on the knees.
Remember that at this age toddlers are too young to make a difference between left and right side for themselves, but it is OK to practice it with you!
Enjoy growing up!
If you find an article useful, feel free to share it with others.