Potty training- isn’t the scary as it sounds!
If you are a mom of toddler you are probably surrounded by stories about other moms whose babies stop using diapers before the first birthday. So, if you are wondering whether it is the right time to start using the potty, that your toddler “won’t be late,” read a brief guide through the potty training.
When the child is ready to start potty training?
If we want that child started with potty training it is necessary to fulfill two conditions – that can walk and can verbally request. So, before the first birthday, it really isn’t likely. Even then, at the physiological level the child must achieve neurological maturity that allows sphincter control while at the psychological level the child must be motivated to “grow up ” for the potty.
The famous “introduction to potty training”
There are a lot of education materials on the market that are designed for easier starting potty training. The experts, pediatricians, and parents recommend a variety of method and for some of them I think that are unacceptable. Don’t know for you, but I don’t like an idea of taking toddlers to the toilet with me so the dad and I can show them how to pee…Showing the adult’s poo for me is the terrible idea. Likewise, I don’t believe that we can put the toddler to the potty and expect that he will magically know what should do.
So, when we talk about the potty, I’m for a moderate approach.
Buying potty requires special attention! Potty must be comfortable for the child, in order to toddler feels pleasant.
If you have a boy, note that the front part is sufficiently high, so avoid to accidentally pee over. It is desirable that potty be nice for the eye, the best in favorite color of the toddler. Some children are looking forward to the potty which singing when they pee in it and it can be a good choice. Just make sure that the toddlers don’t come to the idea of pouring water in it, rather than to pee. Potty should be attractive colors, but it isn’t a toy.
If you have a boy, you may let him pee standing up while you hold a potty and take care not to spill.
In our case, it was counterproductive. The eldest son was the long time ago pee standing at the time when our daughter start with potty training so she was insisting to pee like the brother!
Some children prefer adapter, so you may consider it when your toddler start using the toilet.
You’re ready for action!
When you choose the potty and toddler is old enough, you should arm with the patience. You will need a large number of shorts, tracksuits, and clothing that is easy to undress (and easy to maintain) and a sufficient number of panties.
The choice of underwear is often overlooked, and can play an important role in motivation. Chose toddler’s favorite cartoon or animal for boxer shorts, that way they will be extra careful to stay in it for a longer time! My sons like underwear with dinosaurs and panties with pictures of Cars cartoon and a princess is always wearing only pink boxer shorts. Nothing else wasn’t an option. After all, it’s more fun to buy together funny boxer shorts and panties than buying a potty!
Ready, set, go!
When you definitely start with the potty training, pay special attention to
– That it is warm enough that a child doesn’t get sick if you don’t change clothes in a same second
– Always take the potty an eye, close to the toddler. If he pees the panties on the way to the potty, praise him anyway
– Be prepared to “catch” – as soon as the toddler wakes up, put him on the potty. Kids pee after waking up, so it isn’t necessary to wait their requests. Most toddlers poop every day in the same time (if they don’t have problems with digestion), and that is usually after breakfast. In any case, after a meal put the toddler on the potty, but remember that no need to remain on it for too long.
– Before going out and certainly before bedtime offer child the potty. Do it and when you feel that enough time has passed since the previous pee.
– Do not limit the amount of fluid that the child enters during the day. Water is essential for the proper functioning of the body. Otherwise, your child may dehydrate.
– It is OK to try the medium solution. Use of the diaper panties is great when you traveling, or for any reason you can’t reach the toilet fast enough.
-No need to take off and nighttime diaper at the same. I know, sometimes you may hear the advice to put off daily and night diaper at the same time, but potty training may be an exhausting period for you, especially if you got back to work. Give yourself time to sleep!
I’ve already mentioned them, but again- diaper panties are a great interim solution. Children dress them like underwear, easy to undress and offer you (and a toddler) safety. Make sure only that the transitional phase does not last too long. In any case, don’t worry, nearly all children outgrow the diapers until the third year. And yes, time of potty training may seem like an eternity, but remember that diapers have been part of the child’s world for a long time. Remember that diapers are only the phase! Like the other phases and diapers will pass.
Just patiently and enjoy in growing up!
If you liked the article share it with friends. If you have an interesting experience, share it with me, I always look forward to new advice.